What Can I Claim Back as Uniform?

We all have to dress for work no matter what job you do, and you may be eligible to claim money back for your work attire. Some claims are easier than others, but either way, it’s worth giving it a go!

One thing to point out is that HMRC don’t like you claiming for clothes with a dual purpose, so having a company logo printed on them will benefit your claim. However, it doesn’t mean that you will not be able to claim anything back if you wear general clothes for work.

What does HMRC Consider as Uniform?

Their official definition of a work uniform is ‘a set of specialised clothing that is recognisable as identifying someone as having a particular occupation.’ Generally, this covers nurses, firefighters, and police officers.

Protective Clothing

This covers things like high visibility vests, hard hats, steel toe cap shoes, etc. You are not likely to use these things outside of work, which makes it a relatively straightforward claim.

Wearing a Costume for Work

If you are a performer or an actor, HMRC will allow clothing to be a business expense, but you still need to be mindful of the ‘dual usage’ rule. If you dress up as Santa for work, you are not likely to use your costume in any other way; therefore, you can claim it as an expense. However, if you are a street bustler, you won’t be able to claim for wearing your own clothes…not as easily anyway!

Tax Relief for A General Uniform

If you have to wear a branded uniform for work, or if you are required to wear something specific, you can claim for this. Uniform maintenance comes in at around £60 per year (2019/2020), which may not seem like a lot, but it all adds up. For any claim like this, you will need to fill out a ‘P87’ form.

Your accountant will know what you can claim for and how to do so, but if you have any queries on the matter, please do get in touch.